The Citerne (cistern) is the unfinished westerly tower of the Sint-Walburga church. The building was repurposed in 1720: it became the city reservoir, or cistern. The cistern was filled with rainwater that was channelled from the enormous roofs of the Sint-Walburga church by two drainage pipes.
In the Second World War, the cistern was also used as a hiding place for people from Veurne and elsewhere, who hid for four whole days and nights.
Location: Sint-Walburga park
Visiting: The cistern is only open to the public for temporary exhibitions.